Sunday, November 8, 2009

Favorite Baby Items?

I'm starting to research items for our registry and wanted to solicit advice from all of our blog followers for what you loved most and couldn't live without with your kids, as well was what things you thought you'd use and never did. Any advice is greatly appreciated!! Everyone seems to have different words of wisdom and favorite items and I love hearing about them.

I'll post more pics this week. I'm officially 20 weeks on Thursday and our ultrasound is one week from tomorrow! WHOO HOO!

10 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh my....I could write a book on this topic and I'm pretty sure people have done this, so I'll try and cut the fluff.
Baby: Lots of bibs, we had droolers--forget the pretty ones and look for the ones that have small neck-holes and feel like a bath towel. White noise for the nursery (we used a dehumidifier), don't buy pacifiers or that darn heating baby wipes contraption. After a bit of time I bought a good baby-food-making book/kit and fell in love with our Bright Starts Around We Go exersaucer. Our expensive high chairs became too cumbersome to clean, so not long after starting solid foods, we moved to a travel booster that straps to any chair and are still rocking this $20 chair, selling my high chairs on craigslist long ago. Shop around for a stroller and baby-wearing sling that you'll love, those are two items get a lot of play! Good luck, happy registering!

mamalouise said...

Okay first off, Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am Aimee and JEremy's friend, we met once, I now stalk your blog, so hello there! :) Second, why do I feel like you have only been prego for one second and you are already 20 weeks? JEALOUS! Finally, Rainforest Jumperoo, hands down the best baby item we owned. No offense to my dear friend Aimee but exersaucers are for the birds. But a baby swing (not the Graco ones, they are lame) did come in handy when JD hit the "I don't want to go in my crib and nap phase" around 4 months. The swing was his nap and totally helped keep me sane! :) Oh one more thing...Restoration Hardware started selling baby bedding and decor recently and it is BEAUTIFUL! :)

Unknown said...

I don't know what you call those velcro swaddler things that you wrap a newborn in, but Connor would not sleep without one his first month back from the hospital. When I stayed with Christy she sent me right to the Wal-Mart to buy 4 more (she only had 1)!

Allison said...

Where to begin?!? I would definitely get a swing. We have the Fisher Price papasan swing which is great because baby can swing forward/backward and side-to-side, some babies prefer one direction over the other. Our swing has been a lifesaver, especially if your baby has reflux. A play gym/mat is great entertainment until they are old enough for the exersaucer (we have the evenflo triple fun exersaucer--lots to do to keep them entertained). I agree with the pacifiers, buy only a few to determine if your baby even likes/wants them. Don't need a bottle warmer or wipes warmer, just gets the baby too used to using them at a certain temperature and then they want it that way all the time...just my opinion. Dr. Brown's bottles are wonderful but must get the dishwasher baskets because it takes forever to wash all those parts by hand. I could go on and on but really its hard to know what your baby is going to like, so you just have to get what you think is good and hopefully it works. If not, ask around and see if you can borrow the item from someone to try before investing more into it. I hope all this helps. Good luck!!!

Allison said...

P.S. Boppy pillows are great if you decide to nurse but are also good to prop baby up and for tummy time. :)

Kelly said...

I cannot stress this enough, you must learn how to swaddle from Melissa or Tim. Mackenzie was a much happier baby and slept through the night for longer periods after I was shown. It comes from Happiest Baby on the Block. The book is pretty good and it made me feel better about why my child cried all the time. A swing is another must have item. I don't think we would've survived without it.

Jillian said...

Thanks for all the good feedback! I'll definitely keep this all in mind. I think we actually watch the Happiest Baby on the Block video at our classes, so that should be good.

Melissa Jo said...

co-sleeper! they are a god send! they butt up to your bed so that you can scoop the babe up, feed him, stare at him, make sure he's breathing, etc and then scoop him right back into his safe little place. these are really mostly nice if you plan on breastfeeding. we bought ours online. sorta expensive but worth it.

Melissa Jo said...

diddo to the bibs and we go through a lot of cloth diapers for spit up/burp rags in a day!!!!

Nancy said...

Hi it's Nancy Mullen here, I'm related to you thru the Avery Family...remember you all came to my house in Maryland. Ed picked you two up from the airport.....
Anyway yea on the booster chair, I have 3 grand children and still using it. Mu daughter used a sling and said that was wonderful & white noise machine is a must! Love the blog and read it!